I'm Doughnuts for You (2-10-12)

Ignore my cheesy attempt to come up with a clever title for this post. Moving on.

Jeff and I love doughnuts. So much we do. And I've been wanting to try to homemake doughnuts for quite some time. What better time to try something new than with my husband on date night?!?
I made the dough right after we ate dinner so it could rise for an hour before our date officially started (a.k.a. Eli's bedtime).
Then we rolled the dough out and used this month's scouting theme -- resourcefulness -- to find some makeshift doughnut cutters. We came up with a cup and a baby bottle to make the perfect sized doughnut.
Bonus - when you homemake doughnuts, not only do you eliminate preservatives and gross things that could be in store-bought doughnuts, but you can bake them instead of fry them. This is especially nice to help with the guilt you might feel after eating say...9 doughnut holes and one doughnut in one sitting. But more about that later.
While our Krispy Kreme imitators were rising, we did a puzzle we got for Christmas while watching American Idol.
Sometimes my camera takes bad pictures and this is one of them:
Hello tasty treats.
The recipe recommended a cinnamon and sugar topping, but we glazed most of them. I cinnamon and sugared the doughnut holes after I used all the glaze and I wished we would have instead stuck with the cinnamon sugar for all. For some reason the cinnamon and sugar made it taste more doughnutty and less bready. Especially in tiny doughnut-hole size.
Mmmmmmm.
Sadly, this is as far as we got on our puzzle before I crumpled it back up and returned it to the box. 500-piece puzzles and toddlers are not ideal playmates.
Jeff High - Eating the doughnuts.
Jeff Low - We didn't get very far on the puzzle.

Is is possible for me to say eating 9 doughnut holes and one doughnut was the high and the low of my night? Okay, fine. I'll stick to the high/low rules.
Sarah High - I just love cooking things with Jeff. Which is probably why many of my dates involve the two of us in the kitchen.
Sarah Low - Jeff was sick. So I kind of felt like I was torturing him by making him endure a night of activities.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun date night once again. The doughnuts looked so good... I need to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your title. And I wish I could try some of those baked doughnuts. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Sarah, do the doughnuts really taste like doughnuts? I'm skeptical. Looked like a fun date and the doughnuts looked really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cinnamon and sugar doughnut holes really did taste like doughnuts. The others were a bit too bready to really fully give the doughnut taste. But the glazed bread was still delicious!

    ReplyDelete