20 Questions (2-4-12)

When Jeff told me we'd be playing 20 questions for our date, I politely kept the thought, "I already know everything there is to know about you" to myself. I immediately imagined the struggle it would be to come up with unique questions for my husband of three years that I couldn't already answer or that I wouldn't normally ask in daily conversation. So if you're as skeptical about this date as I was... read on.
Our skepticism led us to only writing down 10 questions each but then we ended up both answering both lists of questions...
with our feet in the tub.
As I was coming up with questions, I remembered that coming up with uncommon questions was kind of my forte in the dating scene. I read this book once with a section about how people love to talk about themselves, so if you ask people questions about themselves, they'll like you because they'll enjoy their time talking about themselves and they'll associate that with you. Kind of like mind manipulation. And I found it unfailingly effective on my dates.

In fact, weird questions became my default in all social situations -- whether I was trying to manipulate someone into liking me or not. Like the time I was at a (fateful) bonfire with my roommate Leslie and we met this guy Cade. When the small talk died down, I asked Cade to describe himself in two words and I believe he chose something along the lines of "Rugged" and "Burley." See. You learn a lot about a person by asking weird questions. And I like to think it was my questioning of Cade that led him to Leslie's heart. You're welcome you two.

So anyway, I had forgotten about this hidden talent I have until I started scribbling questions. The more questions I thought of, the more I realized there was a lot I still had to learn about that suddenly mysterious man who lives with me.
And as that book I read says, people love to talk about themselves, so I had fun sharing my thoughts with Jeff and finding out what he didn't know about me.
Both of our children interrupted our date. One threw up and the other forced a slightly concerning amount of Braxton Hicks upon me once again. So with Eli's sheets in the wash and me lying on my left side downing water, we ended the night watching American Idol. 

Sarah High - One of my questions was, "What is one of your guilty pleasures that I don't know about?" We both answered and those answers were my favorite but we are choosing not to share these with the world so you'll just have to be left guessing.
Sarah Low - I wanted there to be more funny auditions on American Idol.

Jeff High - "Just talking to you was my high."
Jeff Low - I wrote four extra questions while I was waiting for Jeff to finish his ten (my talent can't be suppressed), and he felt bad I had more questions than him.

6 comments:

  1. You guys are the cutest! I love reading about all your dates. You are very inspirational! And Sarah you look gorgeous, pretty color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Both of our children interrupted..." kind of took me back for a second since I only think of you as having one child. That second child better not try making his appearance too soon or I'll be the one in the delivery room with you while Jeff's hard at work!

    Jeff's high was so sweet. And his low was funny. Definitely your talent (in many areas) can't be suppressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a little jealous of your talent- I wouldnt be able to come up with cool questions, atleast it would take me 10 years!

      Delete
  3. what a perfect date for you. you were the queen of asking questions. often out of the blue. (3 second silence...) "So, ___, if you were stranded somewhere and could only bring 1 item, what would you bring?"
    "So, ___, if you could describe yourself in 3 words what would they be?" and you also loved to throw our address around to random strangers (which I'm also grateful for..because that's how Cade came and asked me on a date!)
    love you. and i love that you have childREN! and i love jeff's high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you last night as we were with our friends. He is on the High Council and was talking about a Church Disciplinary Council. So, the question I posed for the group, "If you HAD to be excommunicated, what would you want your offense to be?"

    Sadly...there weren't any brave enough to take on that question.

    ReplyDelete