Freaky Fondue Friday (1-13-12)

I sent Jeff an email at work on Friday that said, "I'm quite fondue of you." Then right after I sent it, I realized it was Friday the 13th and I was mad my date didn't pull in a theme from the superstitious day. Despite my oblivion to the calendar, I'm glad I thought up this date because it ended up being one of my most favorite dates so far.
While Jeff put Eli to bed, I set the fondue scene -- complete with a burning candle for romantic effect.
I kind of think it looks like I'm glowing in this picture. But maybe it's just because my right eye has had an eyelash stuck in it all day and is kind of blurring my vision. But I like to think I have that much sought after pregnancy glow.
Yum and fun!
Here's my high of the night: I dipped a marshmallow in chocolate and put it on a graham cracker and told Jeff I wished I had put the oven broiler on so we could toast the marshmallows for s'mores. Next thing I know Jeff is toasting his marshmallow over the candle. Brilliant! It was the perfect s'more setup.
My marshmallow caught on fire several times which irritated Jeff because he told me after my fifth or so torched mallow that I kept blowing all the smoke in his face in my panicked attempt to control the flame. Whoops.
My second high of the night was seeing Jeff try to refrain from showing his full excitement when I told him part two of our date was to build a fort. Jeff immediately started rummaging through the house for all the supplies he'd need. I had to go read Eli a few books because he started crying. When I left Jeff, our living room looked like this:
And after I had Eli nestled back in bed, I came out to this beauty. I never knew my husband had such talents.
 It was the most perfect fort I've ever seen.
Maybe it's just me but it seems like whenever I built forts when I was little my brother and I always played the card game War in them. Jeff and I actually weirdly played a lot of War when we were dating. Playing took me back to my childhood and back to our early dating. Both were fun memories to return to.
There's something about being crammed in a fort that makes everything so much more fun.
 This last battle won me the first game.
We finished the night off watching our favorite shows snuggled up in our fort holding hands. Perfect.
Jeff High - The fort.
Jeff Low - The taste of the fondue. (I started the fondue way too early and it overcooked a smidge. Okay. A lot.)

Sarah High - The makeshift s'more.
Sarah Low - I got a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions at the end of the date (roughly one every five minutes. Not good). This is the second time I've had a worrisome amount of Braxton Hicks this pregnancy and it kind of freaked me out. But have no fear. After I laid on my side and downed a glass of water they went away. Stay in there, baby!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun date idea! Jeff does love to build a good fort! You have a beautiful pregnancy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fun :) I keep telling myself I'm going to start planning creative dates and then I never do. lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff is a good fort builder. He has been building them since he was knee high to a grasshopper. Sounds like a fun date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fondue email to Jeff was clever. Good job on that one. The date night looked fun. Loved Jeff's idea of roasting over the candle flame. Building a fort was a clever idea of something different to do. I love how creative you both are in your dating-at-home ideas. Great way to look forward to date night without having the expense of a babysitter.

    And thanks for bringing back the highs and lows. I love when you end your posts that way.

    Congrats on your goal setting as well. You have done a great job in your date night goal area.

    Your father was very pleased to see your goal list for the new year (since we all got that drummed into our heads through the years) and we both thought you were brave to post it for all your friends and the rest of the world to see. Good luck with reaching them all!! It will just make a great person even better! And good luck to Jeff on reaching his goals as well.

    ReplyDelete