Oktoberfest (10-29-11)

So maybe I didn't do a post about my date last week. We were in Cedar and I arranged breakfast with our friends one morning. That counts, right? Anyway, Jeff was a better planner this week than I was last week.

We had a German night as we celebrated the German drinking holiday of Oktoberfest.
Jeff got busy in the kitchen whipping up authentic Wiener Schnitzel and German Potatoes.
It's always nice to have someone else worry about dinner and it was fun to get a taste of Germany.


Next we carved/decorated pumpkins. I didn't want to deal with the mess of clearing out the innards of my pumpkin so I got creative with some extra paint and glitter I had lying around.
Jeff took the traditional approach with a cleaner twist -- rubber gloves.
Mid-carving we continued our Oktoberfest celebration with German mugs filled past the brim with (root) beer (floats).
Okay, so we could only find one German mug which was really an Austrian mug but let's not get too critical.
As I got the glitter out for this creative project, I thought about how my mom never let me play with glitter as a kid. I always thought she was so mean. I always told her I'd clean up the mess. What's a girl's childhood without the sparkle of a little glitter here and there...and EVERYWHERE!

I sure am glad I didn't waste my time pulling out my pumpkin's guts. Because then I wouldn't have been able to spend the second half of my night walking around the kitchen cleaning up the effects of the glitter bomb that must have happened mid decorating.


If you walked in our house right now, you'd probably think we put glitter on the ceiling fans and purposely gave our house some shine. And that's after trying to do some damage control. 

Mom, I'm so sorry I doubted you and your glitter phobia. I'm afraid my daughters (assuming we eventually get a girl or two) will live the same glitterless childhood I once had.
Jeff's pumpkin ended up being much cleaner and much more creative! Check out that T-Bird!

I'd say we've gotten a lot better in our pumpkin accessorizing than when we were first married.

Sarah High - Jeff came over to my side of the table to carve for a little bit as he checked out my glittering techniques. I saw his pumpkin nearing the glitter tube I had on the table, so I warned him not to knock over the glitter. Jeff was in a pumpkin carving zone and didn't hear me. Just as he said, "What?" his pumpkin bumped the glitter and it spilled all over the table. Then I realized being a mother gives you the skills to see disasters and messes that are about to happen. I was glad to see my skills are so keen.

Sarah Low - I glittered the house mere hours after I had vacuumed the floors. And I hate vacuuming.

Jeff High - That his German meal turned out.

Jeff Low - His pumpkin fell apart after being outside all night.

6 comments:

  1. Impressive pumpkins! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how messy glitter is. . . looks good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you say I'm right!! Those are some great pumpkins. Looks like another fun date night with the Excells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks good Jeff! Another fun date :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pumpkins and Jeff I'm seriously impressed with your carving and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun night. Ben hates glitter with every fiber of his being, but I don't mind it. Jeff should post the recipe of his dinner. Loved the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete