Fire and Ice (7-12-12)

We didn't let threats of Thursday being the hottest day of the year or the constant media coverage of  forest fires blooming all over Utah take the sizzle out of our date night this week. We embraced the heat by creating a makeshift fire pit in our backyard and roasting some marshmallows.
We cooled off with snow cones (the ice portion of the date) as we waited for it to get dark. I don't care how overpriced that frozen sugar water is. Chomping on flavored ice is hands down my favorite summer activity.
As I patiently waited for our stubborn newborn to finally keep his eyes closed for the night, Jeff diligently worked on our campsite.
See. He was very diligent. He cut his scrap wood into tiny pieces to comply with our tiny fire.
Before long a fire was burning as strong as our love. If our love had to be restricted to the size of a backyard undercover fire, that is.
Yeah, okay. I'll admit it. A part of me was anxiously waiting for a fire engine to roar down our street due to a concerned neighbor noticing signs of smoke, but Jeff repeatedly assured me no one would notice our possibly illegal date.
He was right. Our street stayed quiet and all that was heard was the crackle of a cozy little fire.
You could also occasionally hear me scream when my marshmallows caught on fire. But the neighbors are used to hearing me screech about bugs and weeds and Eli eating dirt. So that was nothing new.
Chalk up a clever date idea to Jeff! Now I've got to go read my city's regulations to see if I need to be worried about some local cop reading this post and showing up at my house to take me away in handcuffs for being a neighborhood menace. Jeff thinks I'm paranoid, but hey, it could happen.

Sarah High - I've had this weird obsession with 20/20 this week. I like to watch TV shows while I cook for a little background noise, but there aren't many shows on during summer. I noticed three seasons worth of 20/20 were on Hulu, so I got sucked in. My favorites are the murder mysteries. I know! It's creepy but I find them interesting.

Anyway, after all my paranoia about the fire being illegal, at the end of the date, Jeff put the fire out and shoveled all the dirt back. Then as a final assurance the fire department wouldn't be showing up, he said, "There. It's like it never happened."

My mind immediately pictured someone watching Jeff digging from a window and then proclaiming "It's like it never happened." That probably wouldn't have looked good.

I need to lay off the 20/20.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you do need to lay off the 20/20. An already paranoid girl shouldn't be watching that show!! Perhaps the fire was illegal, but thankfully you didn't start your whole neighborhood on fire and you had a great date in the process. Good for the both of you for having another awesome idea of something fun to do together. And what happened to Jeff's high and low of the date??!!??

    ReplyDelete