Independence Date (7-4/5-11)

We said goodbye to Eli for his first overnight stay away from us. I don't think I usually look so creepy when I'm saying goodbye to people. But this picture is making me wonder.
I was freaked. It was such a weird feeling to be babyless. But I was happy to know he was in good hands.
Jeff and I started our date by seeing "Fast Five." This was clearly Jeff's choice. It was completely unrealistic and ridiculous but somehow entertaining. It was exactly what Jeff wanted it to be. Villains who are actually heroes who suddenly team up with the cops that were chasing them down but somehow despite all the machine guns, swords, jumping and diving no one ever even gets a scratch. And also somehow The Rock's arms are always perfectly oiled? Oh sorry, did I just ruin the movie for anyone?
Then I think it was our adrenaline and mindset from getting out of an action movie that allowed us to hunt down a fireworks show just in the nick of time that night.
We went home and slept on an air mattress in our basement. You know. Because if you sleep in your basement it kind of feels like that hotel you can't afford. Whatever, it was fun. We watched our new favorite show Monk as we fell asleep.

Then we woke up at... are you ready for this? ... 10:30!!!! What?!? I haven't slept that long in 2 years it seems like! I finally feel like I've recovered from having a baby after that night's sleep. Hallelujah!

We got ready and made our way to Lagoon.
We got free parking and right before we bought full-price tickets, a lady handed us a coupon. Total savings -- $33! What a deal.
It was an overcast day, a little muggy, but perfect Lagoon (and picture taking) weather.

We quickly discovered weird people flock to amusement parks. Including us? Probably.
We were anxious to return to our precious little baby who didn't seem to have missed us all that much.
He must have been spoiled by his Grandma while we were away. Thanks again for providing us with a little independence on Independence Day, Mom!
We did High Lows several times, but these are the first ones I can remember:

Jeff High: As we were leaving our house for Lagoon I made Jeff put his phone in a ziplock bag in case we got wet. Jeff kind of rolled his eyes but went along with my precautions. At the very end of the day we spotted another husband pulling his phone out of a plastic bag and we both got a good laugh out of it.

Jeff Low: He got a little sick at Lagoon

Sarah High: I just finished reading a book about a doctor, Michael Swango, who was a serial killer. (Don't judge me. It was interesting.) We passed a car with a bumper sticker that said "Twilight" on it. When we passed the car, Jeff said, "Sarah, are you going to put a bumper sticker on your car that says 'Swango?'"

Sarah Low: Rattlesnake Rapids was closed.

4 comments:

  1. This was probably my favorite date post yet. (Maybe it's because I was in it--not in your date, just in your post). I love to read your stories and I'm really loving your highs and lows. Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could have a good nights rest. I miss Lagoon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah you are too cute! I love all your date ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob went through a time in his life when he read books about serial killers. I hated it.

    Sounds like a fun date, I love Lagoon!
    And I love that you slept on a mattress in your basement. And I love the Independence day pun, you're just too clever!

    ReplyDelete